Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Church: Is It a Tradition or a Lifestyle?

Psalm 84

Church: Is It a Tradition or a Lifestyle?

Why do we attend church?

Why do you not attend church?

Is attending church a tradition for you or is it a lifestyle?

What do I mean when I ask is attending church a tradition for you? Tradition:

Do you attend church because "it's the right thing to do" or because you grew up attending church and you feel guilty if you do not attend? Do you attend a particular church because that's your family's church? Your mama,daddy, grandparents, aunts,uncles,etc attend that church. Perhaps, one of your family members may be the pastor of that church and you feel obligated to stay where you are. Are you spiritually growing and learning in the church that you attend? Do you hear the Word but don't apply it to your life? Are you the same person that you have been for years with the same mindset, personality and attitude? Not much has changed with you except for your age. Or are you there and feel safe to say "I attended church today?" Do you have a desire or a longing to be there? That's what  i mean by traditional.

Is attending church a Lifestyle:

Do you love to be in the house of the Lord where you feel free to worship? Are you learning more about God and His Kingdom? Do you feel yourself growing spiritually? Can you see a difference in your life? Are you attending a church, not where you are fed because being fed means that you are full, but where you are hungry and thirsty for more of God's word? When you hear the Word of God do you apply it to your everyday life? Are you only hearing the Word on Wednesday or Sunday,or are you studying the Word for yourself at home? (2 Timothy 2 vese 15) Do you feel good when you attend church? Do you feel revived? Most importantly, do you feel the presence of God?

Don't get me wrong when you read this. I had to ask myself the same questions a time before and now I can say attending church for me is a lifestyle when it use to be a tradition. I see a difference in my life. I am happy where I am, which is Redemption World Outreach Center in Greenville, SC. This blog is not intended to draw you to RWOC but to draw you to God. I look at some people who attend church every week and has been doing so for years, but you don't see a change in them. Some of these are older generations and they wonder why some of the younger people won't attend church. I come to realize that for those who don't feel the need to attend church are probably looking at you who attend weekly. They do not see a change in you and probably say to themselves, "what's the use for me". I have had conversations with people that attend church, but they are not happy or growing where they are. They continue to go because that's their family's church or whatever other reasons they may have. I've witnessed people go to church and then come home complaining about what's going on in the church. People this should not be. That is a very dangerous thing to do. I had to ask for forgiveness on that.

I want to know what is your reasons for attending or not attending church. Again, this is blog is not created to judge anyone. You are who you are. Share with us your views.


No comments:

Post a Comment